Saturday, May 17, 2014

Photograph by S.W. Watrous of Visalia, circa 1880.   On the back of the photo is written "Ben Hicks with wife,  California".     This is Benjamin Hicks (1847-1900) with his wife Elizabeth A. March (1853-1922).  Mr Hicks owned farm land north of Visalia.


Another photograph by S.W. Watrous (Stephen West Watrous).  From 1882.   Written at the bottom of this photo:  "Geog. Andrew Belz,  Junior.  4yr 6mo old".   This is  George Andrew Belz (1877-1954) of Visalia.



Photo by Doran Studio of Tulare.  Circa 1895.





2 comments:

  1. I am a grandson of Dr. Elmo R. Zuumwalt and have many Zumwalt and DeWitt photos. Do you have any of these two families? I am also looking for a photo of the one-room school, Enterprise, that was located near the ranch of James Brown Zumwalt.

    Richard Crowe
    bevrichcrowe@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Thanks for contacting me. Unfortunately I'm away from home so I don't have my reference material handy. So I can't say for sure if I have or haven't seen any photographs of the Enterprise schoolhouse. I'll get back back to you on that, by the end of this month. If I remember correctly, there's a story that one of the Zumwalts went to Washington D.C. (around 1890) to lobby Congress for the creation of the Grant Grove, Sequoia and Yosemite National Parks. The Southern Pacific Railroad hired him to do this (to prevent certain areas from being opened up to logging). Although I don't believe this 'story' has ever been completely confirmed. Was Admiral Zumwalt your uncle?

      Delete